Jeanne Laurent building
Plenary: 120 persons. The other rooms can be used for exhibitions, meals, coffee breaks …
The Jeanne Laurent Building is located in the lovely Doms gardens, steps away from the Meeting and Convention Centre. It has 4 separate long rooms, separated by hewn stone vaults. A splendid bay window provides gorgeous views over the Rhône, the Avignon bridge and the town of Villeneuve-les-Avignon.
This space was built in the mid-19th century to serve as the reservoirs for the Rocher des Doms. The four long rooms (40m long, 6.50m wide and 7m high) stored the potable water for the city of Avignon.
Due to the magnificent setting in which these reservoirs were built, the space was renovated in 1990 and transformed into event rooms. The space is named after Jeanne Laurent, a fervent supporter of the performing arts, appointed sub-secretary for Fine Arts in 1946, and a driving force for the revival of popular theatre in France. Jeanne Laurent was at the origin of the decentralisation of culture which helped make Avignon a major capital for theatre.